Two Developers Bring Hundreds of Additional Units to Central SoMa’s Redevelopment Effort
Two new developers, Aralon Properties and Realtex Group, are expected to join the Central SoMa action.
The recently upzoned neighborhood: Aralon Properties has suggested 120 units at 560 Brannan St., while multifamily developer Realtex Inc. hopes to construct 245 new condos located near 650 Harrison St.
Developers have had Central SoMa in their sights for years. Officials have been working to rezone the area between Second to Sixth streets between Howard and Townsend. Neighborhood groups are attempting to block these efforts by filing lawsuits against this plan. These projects include Tishman Speyer’s two approved sites and Alexandria Real Estate Equities (NYSE: ARE) and TMG Partners’ massive project at at 88 Bluxome St.
Nonetheless, more developers continue to join the redevelopment efforts. The summary of the proposals are as follow:
650 Harrison St.
- Developer: San Francisco-based Realtex Group., with Ankrom Moisan Architects. Among the projects are, 104-unit building at 363 6th St. in SoMa, including several other locations in San Francisco and Berkeley.
- Location: At the southwest corner of Harrison and Hawthorne streets which is currently occupied by a two-story commercial building which the city had intended for hundreds of affordable homes before eliminating those plans a couple months ago.
- Unit count: 245 rental units, plus about 900 square feet of ground-floor retail
- Details: Containing 114 two-bedrooms, 107 one-bedrooms and 24 studios, with 35 affordable units, the planned tower would rise to 29 stories.
560 Brannan St.
- Developer: San Francisco-based Aralon Properties, alongside IwamotoScott Architecture. Aralon Properties is behind the redevelopment of a long-empty Noe Valley retail space, and also planned another project last year at 400 3rd St., but it’s uncertain if the project will proceed.
- Location: The land sits adjecent to Tishman Speyer’s authorized project at 598 Brannan St., as well as another 960-unit project at 655 4th St.
- Unit count: 120 units, plus 9,000 square feet of ground-floor production, design and repair (PDR) space.
- Details: The new project would tear down the existing two-story PDR building onsite and replace it with a nine-story residential development, including the upgraded PDR space. The Units would be split between 72 studios and 48 two-bedroom units, with 18 affordable units.